Gavnø Castle Garden
Gavnø Slotspark is one of Denmark’s most beautiful gardens, with more than 500,000 flowering bulbs, a romantic rose garden with a unique rose maze, the sensory garden “The Six Senses”, “Skjærsommer”, the doctor’s house from 1846 with an exhibition of the Reedtz-Thott family’s doll collection, sculptures and monuments, as well as rare species of plants and trees. The castle gardens bloom beautifully right up to autumn. Denmark’s largest tulip exhibition can be seen in May, in which leading Danish and foreign bulb growers exhibit both new and old types of bulb. In August, the park plays host for Denmark’s new lily festival, in which a firework display of colours and scents meet the visitors.
In the butterfly world, exotic butterflies fly around freely in a tropical climate, and in the goat park, children can get up close to the cute African mountain goats. Let the children go off on a pirate raid in the wake of the pirates with Gavnø’s treasure hunt, or let them release their energy in the park’s large Pirate Playground.
In addition to the castle park, you can also visit Gavnø Castle and the abbey. Gavnø castle houses a large collection of antiques and northern Europe’s largest private art collection, with more than 1,000 paintings, representing a broad section of European art in the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries, including Scandinavia’s oldest remaining portraits. The abbey was built by Queen Margrethe I in the 15th century and can offer fantastic woodcuts. You can also visit the beautiful guestrooms, which tell Gavnø’s history through the exhibition of historical costumes and the dining room where Baroness Reedtz-Thott has laid the table for dinner.
Gavnø Slottsbryggeri is housed in the historical barns and brews beer according to its own recipes, using first class ingredients and water from the Castle spring on Gavnø. The bar is open daily in the season so you can, if you wish, enjoy a freshly brewed beer with a view across Gavnø Go Fly, the magnificent treetop trail that has room for the whole family. There are several trails available with enjoyable, exciting and challenging adventures, all the way from the junior trail to highest of all in Gavnø’s 150 year-old treetops.
We offer garden walks and guided tours of the castle, but they must be pre-booked. You can buy admission tickets for the park and Gavnø Go Fly from www.gavnoe.dk, or at the entrance to the park.
For opening hours, please visit our website
- Castle and Manor House gardens
- Car parking - Room for 1500 cars
- Bus parking - Room for 25 buses
- Toilets - Yes
- Handicap toilets - Yes
- Brochures / information - Yes, at the entrance and at the castle
- Café / restaurant / vending machine - Café Tulipanen - Tasty café dishes, coffee/tea, local beer and mineral water and the Castle beer, Gavnøl, mineral water and coffee
- Picnic sites - In the park, at the Castle brewery and at Gavnø Go Fly
- Guided tours - Guided garden walks and tours of the Castle. Must be pre-booked
- Shop - The castle shop is open throughout May and on selected days in the season.
- Benches in the garden - yes
- Dogs welcome - Yes, on a lead
- Miscellaneous - Gavnø Go Fly, tree top trail - exhibition of porcelain and historic costumes at the castle.